• Skezzix one and two, Rob Frayne/Mark Eisenman, JTR-207
• Odessy, Anna Williams, Ind. CD
• Rte. 81 Breakdown, reFrayne Quintet, Sum/Part LM 32419
• Bone Dance, Chelsea Bridge Trio, Unity/Page-161
• Bytown, the Angstones, Canal/Festival
• Double Feature, Chelsea Bridge Tentet, Unity-150
• the Hills are Alive, the Angstones, Canal-282
• When Ahab Met Moishe, the Angstones, Canal-271
• Tatamagouche … next left, Chelsea Bridge, Unity-144
• Tao, Freeplay, Unity-145
• Spirit Jewels, Charlie Sohmer, Snowey River-S33
• The Young and the Restless, New Canadian Bands, CBC Variety Records
• Blues in a Sharp Sea, Chelsea Bridge, Unity-135
• Bay d’Espoir, Rob Frayne/Chris McCann Quartet, Unity-125
• Calypsony, Rob Frayne/Chris McCann Duo, Unity-117
• Kommen een der Karz, the Angstones, Canal-256
• Christmas Frielachs, the Angstones, Canal-261
• Dump the Deal, Shuffle Demons, Ind.
• Aw Shaddup!, Jivewires, Canal-255
• With Mary-Margaret O-Hara, Virgin (not released).
• In Pulse, Moreen Meriden, Ind.
• Ossisil’s Topic, Rob Frayne, Ind.
• First Sighting, Rob Frayne, Ind.
• With Chelsea Bridge Tentet, 40 min. “Jazzumentary,” independent
• With Chelsea Bridge Tentet, Democlips for BRAVO TV
• With Rebecca Campbell, ROCKBURN & CO. for CBC TV
• With Rob Frayne & Chelsea Bridge, ROCKBURN & CO. CBC TV
• With Rob Frayne & Chelsea Bridge, Laurent Lapierre Presents. CJOH TV
• Marie Helene, the Angstones, CITY TV used on Much Music, Musique Plus
• Old Dan Tucker, the Angstones, Ind. on Much Music, Musique Plus
• Ossisil’s Topic, Rob Frayne Ind. Winner at Warsaw Jazz Video 1988
• Rob Frayne/Mark Eisenman for Jazzbeat, April/98.
• With Bitches Brew/Miles Davis Trib., March/98, Jazz Sur le Vif
• With Bitches Brew/Miles Davis Trib., June 1997, Heartland/Jazzbeat
• With Chelsea Bridge Tentet, summer 1996, Jazz Sur le Vif, Morningside
• With Freeplay, for Jazzbeat, in Halifax, Nov., 1994.
• With Chelsea Bridge, summer 1993, Jazz Sur le Vif and Brand X
• With the Angstones, summer 1993, Brand X (CBC national).
• With Roddy Ellias, for Jazzbeat (CBC), in Ottawa, 1993.
• With Steve Fisk, for Jazzbeat, in Newfoundland, 1993.
• Chelsea Bridge recording for Jazzbeat, 1992 in St. John’s Nfld.
• Rob Frayne Quartet as Jazzbeat radio, at Calgary Jazz Fest., 1991.
• Rob Frayne Quartet gigs and Jazzbeat, in St. John’s Nfld., 1990.
• With the Claude Ranger Trio, CBC’s “Jazz Sur le Vif,” 1988.
• With Mary-Margaret O-Hara, “Performance” (CBC), 1987
• With Cuban Fence Climbers, “Morningside” and “Performance,” 1986.
• With Galaxie youth national all-stars, Director of Ottawa Jazz
Fest Clinic, 2001-2004
• With Rob Frayne/Mark Eisenman, 2003, OIJF
• With reFRayne Quintet, 28-date Canadian tour Jan-Mar /99
• With Chelsea Bridge, 14-date Canadian tour Nov/97
• With Chelsea Bridge, Molde Jazz Festival, Norway, July 1995.
• With the Angstones, Boston Globe Jazz Festival, Junr 1995.
• With Chelsea Bridge, Top ‘O the Senator, Toronto Oct. 17-22/95
• With Freeplay, Canadian tour (and Seattle–Jazz Alley), Fall 1994.
• With Chelsea Bridge, Canadian/US tour, Spring 1994.
(including the BlueNote NYC, and Washington DC Jazzfest)
• With the Jivewires, two weeks of UK shows (including Royal Festival
Hall, the Cork Jazz Festival, Aberdeen Alternative Fest.), Oct., 1993.
• With the Angstones, Festival by the Sea (Saint John, NB) and “The Big
Squeeze” (Toronto) August 1993.
• Solo Saxophone, opening act for Bill Frisell at the National Gallery
in Ottawa, 1993.
• With Chelsea Bridge, Canadian Jazz Festival tour, Summer 1993
(Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, and
other Nova Scotia venues).
• With Chelsea Bridge as Prix du Maurier/SOCAN Jazz Winners, at Place
des Arts, final gala concert at the Montreal Jazz Festival.
• With the Angstones, concert tour of Alberta, Saskatchewan, 1993.
• With Hemispheres, in Montreal, May, 1993.
• With Kate Hammett-Vaughn, at the Ottawa Jazz Festival, 1992.
• Special guest with Hemispheres and Joe McPhee, at “New Music across
America,” in Toronto, 1992.
• With the Jivewires, two weeks of shows in London, England,(including
the Soho Jazz Festival), 1992.
• With the Angstones, a tour of jazz and folk festivals, 1992.
• Summer tour of Canadian Jazz Festivals with the Rob Frayne Quartet
(Toronto, Saskatoon, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal, and
Ottawa) in 1991.
• Canada tour with the Moreen Meriden Quintet (Jazz Festivals), 1990.
• Headlining concert in Vancouver with the Vinny Golia/Rob Frayne
Quintet (including other musicians from L.A. USA), 1989.
• Canadian touring with the Shuffle Demons (including gigs at Montreal,
and other Jazz Festivals), 1987-9.
• With Mary-Margaret O-Hara, at Toronto’s Lees’ Palace, the Great Hall,
and the Winnipeg folk festival, 1987.
• With Claude Ranger Quintet, at the Toronto and Montreal Jazz
• With Fred Stone, at the Toronto Jazz Festival and the Sound Symposium
• Lead alto sax/flute with Kenny Wheeler Big Band, in Toronto, 1985.
• Lead alto sax/flute with the Gil Evans Orchestra, in Toronto, 1984.
• With Mary Ann Price (Dan Hicks, Kinks), Toronto’s Alberts Hall,
several appearances, 1984-5.
• with Rob Frayne’s Roland Kirk Tribute, Ottawa Jazz Fest 2002
• with Rob Frayne’s Spy vs. Spy, Ottawa Jazz Fest 2003
• With Rakestar, Guelph Jazz Fest 2002
• With the Angstones, Folk festival tour include Winnipeg folk, 1997
• Chelsea Bridge & others 10 days at SAW during Ottawa jazz fest.
• With TRIPTYCH, (Rebecca Campbell, Roddy Ellias) summer ,’96.
• With Really BIG Band, feat. John McCleod, 3 Ontario gigs. Fall, ’96.
• With Freeplay, west coast dates incl. Seattle, Vancouver, Jan., 94.
• With the Angstones, Nietze’s (Buffalo NY) Nov., 93.
• With Chelsea Bridge, Festi-Jazz, Sept. 2-4, 1993 (Rimouski, Quebec).
• With Chelsea Bridge, Georges jazz room, Oct. 11-17, 1993 (Toronto).
• With Chelsea Bridge, St. Louis Blues Dec. 2, 1993 (Montreal).
• With Brian Dickinson/George Koller, Cappricio’s, Toronto, Mar.,’93.
• With Chelsea Bridge, Cappricio’s in Toronto, April, 1993.
• With Rob Frayne/Jeff Johnston Quartet, for “The Crisis of
Abstraction,” 50s Canadian Jazz at the National Gallery, 1993.
• With Steve Fisk Quartet, at Arts Court, Ottawa, 1993.
• With Chelsea Bridge, at the Clarendon, Quebec City, 1993.
• Concerts in Vancouver, Victoria, Ottawa w/ Steve Fisk Summit, 1992.
• Fall tour of Atlantic/Central Canada with Chelsea Bridge, 1992
• Montreal- Rob Frayne Quartet at Claudio’s, at G-Sharp, 1990.
• Ottawa- Rob Frayne/Jeff Johnston Duo at U. of Ottawa, gigs with The
Jivewires, The Orts, Angstones, 1990.
• Music Gallery in Toronto with Frayne/McCann Duo, 1990.
• Frayne/McCann Trio gigs at Trent University’s “Jazz Goes To College”
and four venues at the Ottawa Jazz Festival, 1990.
• Alcan Jazz Competition finalist w/ Turnaround in Vanc., 1988.
• Many concert, festival and CBC engagements with the Claude Ranger Trio
(including Vancouver’s Classical Joint, New Orchestra Workshop Series,
Vancouver Jazz Festival, Sound Symposium in St. John’s), 1988.
• Rob Frayne Quartet in Ontario including Ottawa Jazz Festival, 1988.
• Many gigs in Toronto and Canada with , Cuban Fence-Climbers, Shuffle
Demons, Claude Ranger, and others, 1987.
• With Time Warp, Alcan Competition (Georges) and TO Jazz Fest., 1987.
• Gigs with Fourth Inversion (Bob Fenton Quartet at East 85th), Tim
Brady (Shaw Festival) and Paul Cram (Expo ’86), 1986.
• Western Canadian tour (including Edmonton’s “Yardbird Suite”) with Jeff
Johnston and Moreen Meriden, 1986.
• Jazz gigs in Toronto including George’s, Cycles, Pears, Bourbon Street,
Mother Necessity’s Jazz Workshop, Albert’s Hall, Harbourfront, with The
Rob Frayne Quartet, 1982-88.
Compositions, Premieres (portfolio available)
• Soundtrack for animated short film Graffitti Girl, 2004
• Composed and performed the music for Clutching the Heat, for Ottawa’s
Great Canadian Theater Company, 1993.
• Premiers of Mockingbird Takeoffs, and Exposure, chamber music for
the new-music ensemble Exposure.
• Composed and recorded the sound-track for Love and Anger, for Ottawa’s
Great Canadian Theater Company, 1991.
• Composed and performed music for Evasive Tomato, preformed in
Vancouver and St. John’s by D.U.C.K.(Daring Unknown Choreographers
• Composed and performed music for Rat Jelly at the “Festival of Modern
Dance” in St. John’s, 1989.
• Composed Ossisil’s Topic (to text by Moreen Meriden: released as a
single and video–winner of “International Art-Video Competition,” in
Warsaw (Poland), 1989.
• Co-composer of, and performer in, Raptures and Ravings for the
Toronto Dance Theater’s “Painters and the Dance” (includes performances at
the St. Lawrence Center and the National Arts Center), 1986.
• Composed and performed music for “Close-up on Health” (18-part series
for Health & Welfare Canada), 1982.
• Over 100 jazz lead sheets in various styles–many on Cds.
Awards, Grants, Education
• Rob Frayne is listed in “A Who’s who of community activism …POWER
PEOPLE” Ottawa Citizen, Jan 10/98. List includes Jean Chretien, etc.
• Winner of “Best Jazz Group with vocals ’96,” Jazz Report
• Editors choice, best CD for ’95 Cadence Magazine (USA) for
Tatamagouche …next left
• Canada Council Arts B grant, 1995.
• Attended the David Liebman Jazz Master class August ’94.
• Ontario Arts Council popular music grant in 1994.
• Prix du Maurier at the Montreal Jazz Festival, 1993.
• SOCAN Award at the Montreal Jazz Festival, 1993.
• Canada Council touring grants: 1989 through 1999.
• City of Ottawa composing grants in 1993,1994, 1995.
• Canada Council recording grant in 1992, for Chelsea Bridge.
• Winner of “Best of the Unsigned Bands” (Best of the “BUBS”) contest from
Musician Magazine with the Angstones, 1992 (for Frayne arrangement of
“Old Dan Tucker.”)
• Canada Council small ensembles (rehearsal) grants: 1993, 1995, 1997/98.
• Canada Council project grants to study with Joe Lovano and with Dave
Liebman, in New York City, 1990, 1984.
• Holds a Master of Music (Theory) degree from the University of Ottawa,
1991; thesis is ” An Analysis of Partitions and Strata in Charles Ives’s
Three Places in New England.” Bachelor of Music (Honours) Queen’s
• Received the Ontario Graduate Scholarship and the University of Ottawa
• Saxophone studies with Joe Lovano, Dave Liebman, Jim Stoltie, Abe
Kestenberg, Michael Stuart, George Coleman; flute studies with Donalda
Hunter; composition studies with Fred Stone, Gil Evans, David Keane, Cliff
Crawley, Bruce Pennycook.
• Attended the Banff School Jazz Workshops Summer ’84.
• Attended the York University Jazz Workshops with David Mott and John
Jury Duty for Arts Organizations
• City of Ottawa arts advisor, 1998 (arts grants), 1999 (Special projects)
• Canada Council arts advisor 1999 (Touring)
• Canada Council arts advisor 2000 (Festival support for artists)